Reading to your child helps develop early literacy skills, and it’s never too early to start. Here are some tips to make reading part of your daily routine:
• Let your child look over the cover page. Read the title to them. Explain what the story is about.
• Don’t worry about progressing through the book. Stop and start at intervals. Allow them to remain on a page that interests them.
• Point out words with your finger as you read to them, from left to right.
• Make it fun and entertaining. Talk or sing about the pictures. Use facial expressions and different voices from your own.
• Let toddlers turn pages and keep them engaged.
• It’s not necessary to finish a book at one sitting. Adapt to your child’s attention span. Return to the story later or start over at another time.