Healthy Eating for Babies and Toddlers
When babies begin eating solid food, new patterns develop that are key to future nutrition and overall health.
Here are some ways you can promote healthy eating in your child.
• Create routines and structure. Try to keep meals at roughly the same time each day.
• Don't force them to eat. Children might wind up eating less. Offer choices if possible.
• Let them get up from the table frequently. Babies and toddlers have short attention spans and can't sit still for too long.
• Connect with your child and other family members. Don't let them eat alone. Time your baby’s eating with other family members, and bring her to the table.
• Allow your child to eat with their hands and explore food, especially new items. Let them get familiar with the sights and smells at the table.
• Turn off the TV and put away phones at mealtime. Talk as a family instead.