Early Learning and Literacy Skills
Reading to your child helps develop early literacy skills, and it’s never too early to start. Here are some tips to make reading part of your daily routine:
• Let your child look over the cover page. Read the title to them. Explain what the story is about.
• Don’t worry about progressing through the book. Stop and start at intervals. Allow them to remain on a page that interests them.
• Point out words with your finger as you read to them, from left to right.
• Make it fun and entertaining. Talk or sing about the pictures. Use facial expressions and different voices from your own.
• Let toddlers turn pages and keep them engaged.
• It’s not necessary to finish a book at one sitting. Adapt to your child’s attention span. Return to the story later or start over at another time.